Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Grammy's Visit! July 30-Aug 3

Lilly Anna LOVES her grandparents! Fortunately we get to see them quite often and try and Skype with each of them at least once a week. Nothing is better, though, than seeing them in person. My mom, a.k.a. Grammy, came to visit! It was so wonderful to have her here. We were pretty well moved in and had just purchased a twin sleeper sofa for to sleep on. My mom is super busy at work and between seeing us and my brother's family who live in Virginia, she doesn't have many spare vacation days. So it was wonderful she was able to take a couple of days off work to come up here and be with us!

We had a great time while she was here. We spent a lot of time in the neighborhood, went to the parks and to the Natural History Museum. We had a fun brunch one morning. Our friends Amy and Brandon were in town apartment hunting that Saturday afternoon, so we had drinks and appetizers at the Boat Basin! This place is great, not for the food, but for the patio seating next to the water! The margaritas are actually pretty good, too! Before we met Amy and Brandon, my mom and I went shopping in midtown and stumbled upon a street sale! It was so fun! We both bought matching sun hats. While she was here we left Josh and Lilly Anna home and had dessert at Cafe Lalo, which is just 2 blocks from our house and was where Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks tried to meet for the first time in the movie You've Got Mail. It's a really charming little place with over 100 delicious desserts!

My mom volunteered to watch Lilly Anna that Sunday evening so Josh and I could have a date. Since we had been eating out at restaurants so much that weekend, I was in the mood for something casual. You'll probably laugh when I tell you that we ended up taking the subway to midtown so we could eat fried chicken at Popeye's! What a romantic date, right?! It will actually be one of the dates I'll always remember! We arrived at Popeye's at 8:01pm only for the door to be locked! Yep, it had taken us at least 15 minutes to get down there and we had arrived 1 minute late! So I proceeded to beg the manager, through the glass door no less, to let us in. I guess my southern charm (really my desperateness) paid off! He let us in (and one other man who had actually beaten us there). We were so grateful...they must have thought we were the biggest freaks being so excited about fried chicken. Anyhow, we left there to find a place to eat our greasy meal. We ended up in the middle of Times Square and ate our dinner on one of the new tables the city just placed earlier this summer. It was honestly so much fun. We just sat and talked and people watched. We talked about how many people had probably sat on the same chairs we were sitting on that day, which actually made us a little sick to our stomachs to think about. It was a great date and we're so grateful my mom watched LA for us so we could get away! I just wish I had brought our camera!

It was such an awesome weekend! We're looking forward to seeing my mom again soon - in just a few weeks in Charlottesville, VA for the TCU vs. UVA football game on September 12! But before then, we get to see Josh's parents over Labor Day!

Our matching hats. Lilly Anna loved them!

She especially got a kick out of my mom's!


Lilly Anna is a girly girl. She LOVES necklaces and purses, especially my purse. Grammy bought her the adorable pink purse in the picture. She really likes her new purse, as you can see from the video below!


LA is so much fun during meal time. She'll wink and put her head on her shoulder. Unfortunately this picture didn't quite capture Lilly Anna in action (you can see that my mom is still entertained!)


Such a cute picture of LA and her Grammy! You can tell how much she loves her, huh?

I LOVE this picture because it's the last picture we took before my mom had to leave. I was about to put LA to bed and she had been especially cranky that afternoon because she had skipped her afternoon nap. She was cranky with everyone, except Grammy! When we were saying our goodbyes, I started crying, which of course made my mom start crying. And LA just did all of her tricks - she winked, giggled, put her head to the side, clapped, I mean she did it all! It was the perfect send off for my mom!




Thanks, Grammy, for visiting us! We can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

3 comments:

Emily said...

I love all of your posts B!!! Makes me miss you guys even more!!!
Hilarious about your date to Popeye's! My kind of date :)

texasmacks said...

So sweet! She loves her Grammy! I can't believe how big she's getting!

Life with the Williams' Family said...

oh my gosh :) she is SOOO stinkin cute...I am DYING to see you guys! can't believe how big she has gotten :) miss you 3 so much :) love you
me